2020-03-14 Lifesaving Merit Badge Class
Event name: Lifesaving Merit Badge Class
Adult Event Advisor Name: Shawn Powers
Adult Event Advisor Phone: (309)242-5182
Adult Event Advisor Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Event Date: Saturday, March 14th, 2020
Event Time: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Event Location: Pekin Community High School Pool at 1903 Court St, Pekin, IL 61554
Event Cost: $15 - Paid Directly to Pekin Park District on the Sign In form
Dress: Active loose fitting clothes for out of water and swim suit for in water. Scout A or B uniforms not required.
Items to Bring:
Merit Badge Blue Card Comfortable clothing and shoes At least 1 swim suit. We will be in and out of the water so 2 swim suits may be desirable At least 1 towel Goggles Personal water bottle and snacks
Sack lunch that does not need refrigerated or heated
The main purpose of the Lifesaving Merit Badge is to prepare Scouts to assist those involved in water accidents, teaching them the basic knowledge of rescue techniques, and the judgment of how to act in an emergency. This course is taught by BSA Merit Badge Counselor Shawn Powers. Shawn is the Superintendent of Recreation for Pekin Park District and oversees the operation of DragonLand Water Park. He holds various Aquatics licenses and certifications including Ellis and Associates International Lifeguard Training Program licensed instructor with over 12 years of experience teaching lifesaving and lifeguarding skills and techniques for use by professional lifeguards as well as bystander responders of all ages. This course will be taught in Pekin Community High School’s indoor pool with lifeguards on duty overseeing the class for safety. Participants will be able to accomplish all required elements to earn this Merit Badge during the course of this 1 class. Course Prerequisites: (IMPORTANT)
• Having earned the BSA Swimming Merit Badge is recommended but not required.
• Scout must be at least 12 years old and in good physical health on day of the class.
• Read the Lifesaving Merit Badge book prior to attending the class.
- Scout must be able to complete Second Class requirements 5a-5c and First Class requirements 6a, 6b and 6e on day of class. Having passed the BSA swimmer test shows competency in this area.
• It is strongly recommend that participants are confident in their swimming ability in water depths ranging from 4 feet to 12 feet, be able to swim down at least 10 feet to pick up a brick, be prepared to swim untimed but continuously for 400 yards using each of the following strokes in a strong manner for a least 50 yards of front crawl, sidestroke, breaststroke, and elementary backstroke. This is down and back for each stroke type. Scouts should prepare ahead of time to be sure they can meet these requirements.